Tuesday, December 22, 2009

bah humbug

The ghost of Christmas past needs to remind everyone what the holidays are truly about. I'm talkin a swift kick into yester-year. As the day approaches, and consumers everywhere scramble for those last minute gifts, I shake my head in disgust at the pressure this time of year puts on an already emotionally and financially strained public. ITS NOT ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU SPEND PEOPLE! Its about giving, and more importantly, gathering together. Is there not enough in your everyday life to stress about? Is there not enough in your everyday life to spend money on? There are some whirlwind Christmases that I spent running from store to store myself, and you know what? in the end I felt like I had just got home from a bad weekend in Vegas. Dizzy, broke, and feeling slightly violated. Something had to give...

At least I can find solace knowing that craft stores and do it yourself outfits have seen more business this Christmas season than any other in the last 10 years. That means that some of you get it- the whole "its the thought that counts" concept. I mean you really get it. You thought enough about the gift to actually gather the supplies required to make it, and more importantly, you followed through. Right on!

As for the rest of you, if you cant give at least be there to gather together. In tough times it's sometimes a gift just to be around familiar smiles. And get familiar hugs. And hear familiar laughs. Those are priceless gifts. Gifts that dont need a special season. I love to give. I also love to receive. Either way, I find Christmas in seeing the people I love. In the simple gifts they give me without even realizing. Not in knowing I out-spent or out-shopped the next chick.

So to this materialistic Christmas season and all who submit to it I say BAH HUMBUG.

No comments:

Post a Comment